Getting a fit (sick) note

Find out how to request a sickness certificate

The NHS provides sickness certification only after seven continuous days of illness. 

If you need a sick note to cover this period of sickness you should complete a Self Certification (SC2) form which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website. 

Please visit the Direct Gov website for full information about fitness for work following a period of sickness.  

After this period a NHS certificate may be issued but you will need to contact the surgery as it may be necessary to discuss your request with your GP.